Every successful business counts on countless good decisions – enough to overcome those which inevitably prove to be totally wrong. A good business proves itself over and over in its resiliency.
I challenge anyone to think of a bigger decision than to find a LEGALLY CLEAR name for your new business or product start-up. A LEGALLY CLEAR name shadows even if the name is a great name or not. It makes all the difference because absolutely everything you do, from answering the phone to launching a multi-media ad campaign, stems from THAT decision.
Ignorance Is Not Bliss
Why are people so sloppy, cavalier, assumptive, willingly ignorant of the fact that without a LEGALLY CLEAR name as a cornerstone – no matter if every future decision they ever make is the best one – their business can fail tomorrow when they get a cease up to 6-10 years later, a refusal from their distribution channel to carry their goods or a block the US or Canadian Customs.
9 Facts To Show Why Your Intellectual Property is Crucial
- The fact is 35% of names ARE LEGALLY BLOCKED when comprehensively researched. 40% in more competitive industries. 60% if you have what you think is a great name.
- The fact is CIPO, and the USPTO only research their own database – not the other 88% of names in commerce that have rights BEFORE you under Common Law or a State trademark in the USA.
- The fact is a basic search at the USPTO or CIPO are merely direct hit searches – just a small fraction of what may legally affect your mark.
- The fact is SIMILARITIES in SOUND, APPEARANCE, and MEANING do matter.
- The fact is some companies overreach.
- The fact is the USPTO takes 4 months and CIPO 12 months to get around to your new filing.
- The fact is your new trademark filing can be opposed – even if registered – for up to 6-10 years.
- The fact is it does take 8-10 hours to get a successful trademark – in staff time, trademark attorney time – including paid database fees.
- The fact is YOUR intellectual property is crucial to get right – from the start.
A guest post by Trademark Express®, a leader in trademark registrations.